Tuesday, March 4, 2014

TALES FROM THE GHETTO: FROM FRYING PAN TO FIRE


Three days after, my back was still aching from my dad’s whiplashes; whose bright idea was koboko anyway? I probably wouldn’t have been flogged if my eyes weren’t bloodshot and my speech impeded at the same time. My dad only pointed at his almighty koboko (horsewhip) on the wall for Michael to crack; giving the most detailed confession of all time. I couldn’t blame him, though. Everybody in the neighborhood knew my dad was a no-nonsense disciplinarian. The thought that he was going to flog the three of us if we didn’t confess, was enough to make Michael talk. I knew I was doomed when my dad signaled to the door and asked my friends to go home. “Tell your parents what you did before I get to your houses”, my dad said and then locked the door after them.


Michael’s father had this really cool driver (in my opinion), who uses their Peugeot 504 as kabukabu (cab). The car was unpainted, so on Sundays, Michael’s father takes the family to church with it, then to his village meetings. What Michael’s parents didn’t know, was that the driver, Uncle Moshood, was also teaching Michael how to drive.

On this fateful day, Michael had whispered to me, that they did not come to church with their car. The Men’s department had an event at the mother-church, so there was no point taking the car, because his dad would rather follow the local church bus. Michael said he had the key to their car, that we could quickly go see one or two friends at Apapa and back before his dad returns. This news excited me. I couldn’t wait for the church to ‘share the grace’.

On our way home, my mom had asked me, “Inno, why you dey happy like this; angel appear to you for church?” I didn’t hear her the first time, till my younger brother, Ochuko who was sitting on my lap, nudged me, “Mommy dey talk to you”.  On a regular day, Ochuko and I would wobble all through a trip because of his weight on my laps. On one of those days, I had slapped his head because he refused to stand so I could adjust my legs.

“Eh! Sorry mama; wetin you talk?” I replied.

“I say angel appear to you? This one wey you dey happy since” she said.

I laughed, replying, “Na the anointing oh”.

When we got home, I didn’t wait to eat. I ran straight to Nuru’s house to let him know what’s up. “So where’s Michael… what are we waiting for?” We walked fast to Michael’s compound and saw his younger sister, Amaka outside. She went on to call her brother, who came out and signaled that he’d meet us in front.

Nuru and I had waited for a little over 20 minutes before we saw the Blue Peugeot 504, approaching. Michael was only wearing a white singlet and the brown chinos he wore to church. He had to leave like that because he didn’t want his mom to suspect anything. In no time, we were on the highway, heading towards Westminster enroute Liverpool. I didn’t think there was a problem with Michael’s driving because it felt so perfect. We went to Benjamin’s house. This was a boy whose father brought all the way from America to have his secondary education in a public school in Nigeria. We couldn’t understand why, even though he was the most brilliant student in our set.

Benjamin was more surprised than impressed when he saw us. “Wow, I didn’t know you could drive”, he said to Michael.

“Oh yes I can”, Michael replied. The arrogance in Michael’s response stirred a sudden jealousy in me, but it faded as soon as we hit the road to Sunkanmi’s house in Park Lane. As we approached Apapa Club, Nuru, in a startling voice, said “See Regina Askia!” I turned to look as Nuru pointed at a red Mercedes Benz 190 driving out of Apapa Club. Michael got distracted and didn’t know when he switched to the opposite lane. By the time we realized, it was too late. Michael couldn’t swerve back to his lane, because he had lost control. Fortunately, we didn’t hit the coming vehicle on the left, but crashed into a tree, right before the fence of a house.

“Omo, see fuck up” was all Michael kept saying as we stepped out to see smoke forcing its way through the bonnet of the car. A passerby stopped to help us open the bonnet to cool the engine. We could also see water dripping from beneath the radiator. It could have been bashed. One of the men that stopped by, asked who gave us the car to be driving at this age. “You look too young to be driving”, another one said.
“Make una comot por hiiaa bepor my oga come out and call folice por una”, said a Mallam, who was probably the guard of the house we almost crashed into. On hearing police, Benjamin had stopped Okada and wished us good luck. Michael summoned courage and got into the car to see if it would even start. As soon as we heard the engine come on, Nuru and I jumped in, disregarding the open bonnet. Michael reversed, but couldn’t see his front because the bonnet was still open…

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommended Posts: